Fresh Start Asset Services is a social enterprise established by Lentara UnitingCare to provide supported employment, training and develop long-term career pathways for asylum seekers that possess work rights in Australia.
An important and unique feature of the social enterprise that differentiates it from other social enterprise models is that it is purposed with identifying and supporting staff to transition over time to higher paid employment in accordance with their expressed career aspirations. Lentara is working closely with a leading University to pilot a new career adaptability tool developed for vulnerable communities that identifies and maps a pathway for individuals to identify and achieve their career objectives.
The vision for Fresh Start is to identify and develop career pathways for asylum seekers, under the framework of a sustainable and scalable social enterprise. Training opportunities will be funded through a combination of profits from the commercial activities of Fresh Start, philanthropic funding and partnerships with a number of trusted organisations that function as Registered Training Organisations (‘RTO’s’).
Awarded for Partnerships
Fresh Start has won two Global Best Awards (GBA) for Innovative and Creative Partnerships as a part of the International Partnership Network (IPN). Lentara was awarded the Gold Global Best award in the category and later was awarded the Overall Best at the award ceremony in Oslo, Norway. The GBA recognises outstanding and effective business, education and community partnerships that have a significant impact on the communities in which they operate.
Objectives and Expected Outcomes
1. Empower staff of the social enterprise with a stronger sense of engagement and purpose, through improved employment and training outcomes.
2. Develop a unique social enterprise model that can be advocated to government, business and the community services sector.
3. Deliver a financially robust enterprise the profits of which can support other vulnerable members of the community.
Measurements of Success
Lentara has engaged two independent and skilled volunteers that have designed and are evaluating the social and economic outcomes of the social enterprise, against our objectives. These reports will be available in August 2016.
The key measures of success are:
1. The delivery of effective and appropriate training to staff that meet their career goals and objectives.
2. Increased engagement, social connection and purpose among social enterprise staff.
3. Delivering the training objectives under the framework of a financially selfsustainable social enterprise.
Collaboration is central to achieving these goals. Lentara is working with a number of organisations including Brotherhood of St Laurence (Given the Chance for Asylum Seekers) and Rotary (staff mentoring). Lentara is also working closely with a leading tertiary institution to pilot a new career adaptability tool developed for vulnerable communities that identifies and maps a pathway for individuals to identify and achieve their career objectives.
We look forward to working with individuals and organisations that share the vision of Fresh Start. For further inquiries please contact:
Director Strategy & Growth,
p| 0438 059 068
Business Development Manager
Fresh Start Asset Services
p| 0418 318 270